MagiCon should be a safe space for both crew and visitors and we take security seriously. That’s why our rules for what is allowed when it comes to weapons, props and costumes at our Event takes root in the Norwegian Criminal Law.
Norwegian Criminal Law 189 C says:
§ 189. Illegal armament in a public place
Punishable with a fine or prison time up to 1 year for the person who, in a public place, intentionally or with gross negligence carries:
b) Air rifles or spring weapons
c) Weapon replicas that can easily be mistaken for actual weapons, or
d) Firearms that are deactivated after the Gun Law as of April 20, 2029, no. 7 § 27
The same punishment will apply to anyone carrying a knife or a similar sharp object suitable for bodily harm.
Prohibition in parts a and b does not apply to firearms, knives or other tools used for – or being carried to perform – work, outdoor/nature activities such as fishing, hunting and foraging, or other respectable purposes.
MagiCon’s rules for weapons/props/costumes:
- All replicas should have a red/orange tip
- We do not allow demilitarized weapons
- We do not allow airsoft or paintball weapons
- Bows and crossbows should have a loose string and not possible to shoot with
- Projectiles should not be sharp or hard, and the tip of the projectile should be rounded or soft
- We do not allow any functional projectile weapons (including blow pipes)
- Throwing weapons should be made of foam or other soft material, and it is strictly prohibited to use the throwing weapon
- Knives (spring knives, batanga knives, knuckle dusters etc.) are strictly forbidden. Weapons made of soft rubber are allowed.
- Staffs can not have a sharpened tip and/or sharp edges, and can not be longer/taller than 2 meters (200cm).
- Metal studs can not exceed 3cm and should have rounded tips
- Studs made of soft materials (leather, foam etc.) can not exceed 15cm
- Metal armor should not have sharp edges, or sharp parts. Armour gloves will be assessed individually.
- The gloves should not be used as knuckle dusters or fighting gloves
- Fireworks/explosives are not allowed, including powder patches, sparklers etc
- Nerf guns are approved but the trigger will be zip tied so it cannot be used
- Hand cuffs should be made of plastic and you should not need a key in order to undo them
- Whips will be assessed individually
- Bats, sledgehammers, mallets and hammers should be made of foam or other soft material, woods and metals are not allowed.
- Nails, screws, studs and other costume accessories should not exceed 3cm if they’re made of metal, and should have rounded edges. Costume parts made of foam or other soft material are approved.
- Scissors as part of a costume should be attached, or made of foam or other soft material.
- Scissors that are part of a sewing kit or emergency cosplay kit are allowed as long as they are packed away while not in use.
- Chains as part of a costume should not exceed 50cm if they are made of metal
- There’s no limit on length of chains made of foam or other soft material
- Other props made of materials such as resin or similar must not be made in a way that can cause harm to others and follow the same reasoning as the ones listed above.
Upon entry to the Venue, all costumes, props and personal property are subject to a security check. This is to ensure that costumes and props don’t go against MagiCon’s rules and guidelines, or in any way poses a threat to safety at the Event.
The Security Crew expressly reserves the right to refuse or store weapons, props and other costume parts, or any unsafe or inappropriate articles at our own discretion.
The Security Crew expressly reserves the right to confiscate and keep props and costume parts, even if they are preapproved, if they go against Norwegian law or MagiCons own rules.
Management reserves its rights to deny admission or entry, and to remove a Participant to any part of the Event, if they fail to comply with MagiCon’s rules, or instructions given by the Crew.
Participants are required to read and understand the rules and regulations. MagiCon reserves the right to change or make corrections to the rules and regulations at any point in time.
The Participant is required to read and familiarize themselves with the current rules and regulations prior to the Event.
MagiCon is not financially liable for props and costume parts that are kept in storage by Security.
Pre-approval of costumes:
It is possible to send us pictures of costumes or parts of costumes for pre-approval prior to the event.
Send your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: Cosplay Studio